Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Kite Runner - #38

Image sourced from here
As some of you may have gathered or otherwise know, I have been MIA in the last little while (family emergency that required urgent and immediate overseas travel).  I am back however now, and have a whole pile of books to review for you. No really, I have 6 books sitting here with 2 more soon to be added to that list. By the end of the next few weeks you will be thoroughly sick of me!!

The Kite Runner. It's nearly 2 months since I read you. This is another book that has been recommended to me over and over again. I am glad I finally got a chance to read it. The book starts with the story of Amir and his friend/servant Hassan, and their relationship as children. Then, one day an event happens that changes this forever, and if that wasn't enough, the Soviet Union invades Afghanistan and changes their country and the world forever.

Amir and his father escape to America, and the book follows their story as Afghani refugees/migrants in the States and the lives they make for themselves there, including considering the problems/issues that these refugees/migrants had in America 30 years later, after September 11.

I was worried about this book. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype. I enjoyed the first half of the book, although I really need to read a nice happy, fluffy book sometime soon for the sake of my sanity. And then I felt like I plodded through the rest of the book. But looking back on it, I plodded at an extraordinary speed and read that 50% of the book in one afternoon. I knew I devoured the last bit of the book, but not quite that much. I finished it, and put it down, and thought "Hmm". And then the book worked it's magic.

I could not stop thinking about it. I found myself zoning out hours later thinking about the story and the characters and what happened and what could happen...

I usually do this for an hour or so, if the book was good. Maybe a day if it was amazing. But this book kept going. I couldn't think about any other story for almost 72 hours. I had heard of friends of mine reading this book and breaking down in public places like buses. I didn't have that, so thought it didn't affect me. 

Not at all it turns out, this one is a slow burner.


No comments:

Post a Comment